Tuesday, September 16, 2014

First Time Seeing America in Nine Months



It had been almost nine months to the day when I saw the United States for the first time since leaving for my service in the Peace Corps. I arrived in the O’Hare airport and just stared at everything and everyone. I felt somewhat scared and yet everything was so easy. When I wanted to talk to someone, ask someone a question, or accidentally bumped into someone, I knew what to do; I did not have to question what I was doing or worry much about what would happen. Everything was so familiar but in a nostalgic sort of way, an unreal sort of way. It seemed as though just being, just everything was too easy.
               I had thought, before arriving in the United States that I would want to try everything and to eat all different sorts of food or everything in sight but as soon as I landed I seemed to lose my appetite for all food. I knew that I had to eat though so I looked for something that might seem appealing but everything just seemed too complex. I actually almost found myself wishing for some simple njama njama! I wanted something familiar. I was about to give up and just wait to eat when I saw a basket with apples for sale. I picked one and paid for it feeling rather like Captain Barbosa. It was the most expensive apple I have ever bought. It was a green apple and it was great! Apples are hard to come by in many parts of Cameroon. I think that many, if not all, are imported. I was surprised at how happy so simple a thing could make me feel.
               I had a brief layover in O’Hare and the airline workers announced that the flight was over-booked and they were requesting volunteers to come forward to give up their seats. For a long time no one moved even though the airline was starting to offer some great flight deals and promising to get them on the first flight tomorrow. I was considering giving up my seat but was not sure that I should since I had a connecting flight to catch. Eventually enough people came forward which made my decision for me. It turns out that it was a good thing that I did not give up my seat, not only because I had another flight and it was the last flight of the day, but because that next flight was the very last one going to my local airport for the next month! It was the last flight before they were going to close the local airport for runway construction. If I had given up my seat then I would have been stuck for a lot longer than I had thought.
               It felt great to be at home. I got to see many of my friends and family. I think that there were only five or six people that I did not get a chance to see while I was back. I also got to do many things that I used to do like dancing, going to the movies and the theatre, and teaching/working with students at Upward Bound. I also got to spend a lot of time with my mom. I was very glad of this because I had been missing her and being able to talk with her on a regular basis.
               It was great being able to dance again even though I have lost much of my strength and stamina. I was very glad to be able to join in classes again! It was very relaxing and a great stress reliever. I tried never to miss a class. I got to spend time with Dianna, my dance teacher, and some of the dancers that I had not seen since before I left and some that I had not seen for several years.
               One of my favorite things, apart from seeing the rest of my family, was seeing Monica! I was so excited that she was able to come and see me while I was back! Our visit together was short but I was glad that we got to see each other at all. I think I might have been quite devastated if I had not been able to see her. I am hoping that she will be able to visit me here so that I can show her where I live and what I do! We will have to wait and see though.
               It is funny. All while I was in Cameroon I was missing the United States and everything about it but then when I was there I found myself missing Cameroon! After about two weeks I found myself looking forward to when I would be able to return. I was very happy to be back in the United States but as I have already said, it was strangely nostalgic and unreal too. I felt very at home and yet also as though I was an outsider, trespassing in the lives of people I know, like I did not really belong there. I often felt like I was watching scenes being played out before me which I was a part of but not meant to take part. It was a very strange feeling that I am sure was largely part of culture shock. I am sure that I will feel it again when I visit again and when I return at the end of my service as well.  I wonder how long it will take for things to go back to normal again. Overall though I was very glad that I took a break and spent some time with my family and friends! I think that it reinvigorated me and gave me strength to continue with my service.


Random pics from my time back home!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments may not show up right away. I will still see them and get to them as soon as I am able. Please feel free to comment and ask questions, all I ask is that you be polite when doing so.