Thursday, December 26, 2013

Moving to Post

The day after swearing-in all of the new volunteers, including myself, loaded onto three buses and headed off to post. As the bus that I was on pulled away from the training center the luggage on top caught a power line and almost pulled the pole out of the ground. A Cameroonian who was walking down the street jumped on top of the bus and pulled the wire loose. I do not know if the wire was live but I do know that the Americans were much more afraid of the whole situation than the Cameroonians were. I guess that they knew something that we did not.
About four hours later my bus pulled into Bafoussam and my fellow trainee, new volunteer, and now post-mate Amy met our soon-to-be post-mate Jacob. Jacob has been in Menji, my post, for a year and a half now. He helped us get all of our things to Dschang, our banking city, and then to Menji. We stayed in Dschang for a day to open bank accounts and such and then the next day we went to post. It is a two hour ride on, what I consider to be, a pretty scary, bad, but scenic road. We arrived just after dark and the power was out. I think that is bad luck that follows me around, whenever I arrive in a new country or move to a new place the power is always out. It happened in China, when we arrived in Cameroon, and when I arrived in Menji.
The road I have heard is actually a pretty good road as far as roads go in Cameroon. It has gotten better with the dry season but I am scared to see it in the middle of the rainy season. I will try to film it or something so that you can see what I mean. Anyone who wants to come and visit my actual post will have to travel along this road. Anyone who is not comfortable, I can make arrangements and we can stay in Dschang or another city if you are ok with not seeing my actual house and just seeing Cameroon instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments may not show up right away. I will still see them and get to them as soon as I am able. Please feel free to comment and ask questions, all I ask is that you be polite when doing so.