Thursday, December 26, 2013

Swearing-in and Malaria Prophylaxis

So, swearing-in was on the 20th of November, just over a month ago now. It was a three and a half hour ceremony in which the actual swearing-in of the new volunteers took about five minutes. Ceremony and the way things are to be done are very important here. Each distinguished person gets a chance to speak. At the swearing-in ceremony there were at least ten people who gave speeches, some of these being new volunteers who gave their speeches in French, Pidjin, and Fufulde (the three languages trainees study in training here).
After the ceremony there was food. I, not thinking, took my Malaria prophylaxis twenty minutes before the end of the ceremony, without having eaten anything for at least seven hours. It only took ten minutes for the terrible stomach cramps and nausea to start. It is one of the worst feelings, I cannot stress enough-DO NOT TAKE YOUR MALARIA PROPHYLAXIS WITHOUT FOOD. I learned that the hard way. I had a little bit of bread and water and was able to avoid vomiting but I almost would have preferred to just get the medicine out of my stomach so that the pain would stop. I have been careful since then to always eat before taking my Malaria prophylaxis. I have realized though that it needs to be a very significant amount of food, small meals only help a little. Although a handful of Swedish Fish seem to work quite well, don't take this as fact, it just seems to be so. I will have to test it out more and let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments may not show up right away. I will still see them and get to them as soon as I am able. Please feel free to comment and ask questions, all I ask is that you be polite when doing so.