Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Crossed Legs


     We were told in training that we should try to avoid crossing our legs though I did not understand why. So, one day I was sitting with some of my co-workers waiting for  meeting to start and I noticed that none of them had their legs crossed, instead they were either sitting straight or had their ankles crossed. I had noticed this before too, that Cameroonians almost never cross their legs. I think I have only seen it done two times since I arrived here. I was curious as to why this was so I asked my co-workers about it. They told me that it is seen as disrespectful, especially to your elders who are present. After hearing this I tried to not cross my legs so often. The problem is that it is a deeply engrained habit now and I often do not realize that I am doing it. I still try to do it less, especially in professional settings but I often forget. I guess I have to just keep practicing. I am lucky though that most people are not offended because I am a foreigner.

Crossed ankles vs. crossed legs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments may not show up right away. I will still see them and get to them as soon as I am able. Please feel free to comment and ask questions, all I ask is that you be polite when doing so.